Return to Glory

Return to Glory

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Welcome to Ski U Mah!

Thanks for taking the time to stop by the Ski U Mah blog! This blog is just getting off the ground February 21, 2012. You will have to bear with me as I am new to the technical aspects of blogging, but certainly not new to having an opinion when it comes to Gophers sports. Hey, I did already get the RSS feeds going on the blog site, so that is a pretty productive Day 1!

I begin this endeavor as a Gophers fan deperately needing to have an outlet to talk all things Gophers sports. I realize the end result may very well be my insights traveling the nethers of cyberspace never to be heard from again, but if even one person gleams a valuable nugget of insight then I will call this blog a success.

My passion for Gophers sports go all the way back to my earliest childhood memories. I was born in Minnesota and spent the first 18 years of my life witnessing Gopher athletics firsthand. I have my dad largely to thank for helping bless me with my passion and pride for Gopher athletics. Friday and Saturday winter nights we were generally parked in front of the television to watch Gopher hockey. I fondly remember players like Darby Hendrickson, Dan Trebil, Brian Bonin and Mike Crowley.

Meanwhile, on the gridiron all I  knew was losing football. From 1992 - 1998 the Gopher football team went 24 - 54 for a 31% winning percentage and honestly most those wins were the out of conference "cupcake" variety. My first proud Gopher football moment was the 1999 team stunning #2 Penn State at Penn State and getting to a bowl game for the first time since 1986. Sad to think, I was15 years old before obtaining a lasting positive football memory. Sadly, positive memories have been far outweighted by unspeakable losses. The excellent 2003 team that led Michigan 28-7 going into the 4th quarter and somehow surrendered 31 4th quarter points to lose. The 2006 team that led Texas Tech in the Insight Bowl game 38-14 going into the 4th quarter, but managed to give up 24 4th quarter points to ultimately lose in overtime. Sometimes, I wonder if it is more of a curse to witness disappointment on a virtually annual basis. I won't even get into Minnesota Vikings heartbreak during my lifetime. Thank God for Gopher Hockey to fill the void football and basketball have provided over my lifetime. Full disclosure, I am only 27, so I have no recollection of the Gophers football team winning national championships or even Rose Bowl appearances for that matter. However, I do know that Gopher Football lays claim to 6 National Titles, though it would be nice if they were a bit more recent. 5 of the 6 titles stretch back to when Franklin Delano Roosevelt was residing in the White House. None the less, I enjoy cheering for the Gophers because they represent the state I will always consider home, Minnesota! You will find that I am actually quite the optimist and will continue to believe Gopher sports can be relevant again. An interesting fact is that within the last 10 years the Gopher football team has bowl wins against Arkansas, Oregon and Alabama. Those are currently 3 of the premier football teams in the country. Ski U Mah!

You will find that Gopher football will be the most heavily discussed topic on this blog, but you will also find substantial contributions concerning basketball and hockey. Heck, there will also be occasional wrestling topics, as they are one of the stronger Gopher programs. Gopher Wrestling was just crowned NWCA National Dual Champions after upsetting Iowa in the semis and undefeated Oklahoma St. in the championship!

I hope this provides a bit of background on me. I welcome any comments or suggestions. Hopefully there are others out there that enjoy sharing the pain and occasional triumphs of being a Gopher fan as much as I do.

1 comment:

  1. Great start to a great blog. Glad we can share the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat together. GO GOPHERS!!!

    ReplyDelete